A global crackdown on tax evasion has led to an increase in personal tax investigations that can cover any aspect of your potential tax liability. In this environment, having skilled negotiators on your side who specialise in dealing with HMRC enquiries, is essential to protect your best interests.
Having the right support can also ease the burden if you're faced with an intrusive tax enquiry and improves your chances of a favourable and fair outcome. And with so much at stake, you need to be confident that additional taxes and penalties are correctly calculated.
Evelyn Partners has helped numerous clients conclude tax enquiries successfully.
How Evelyn Partners can help with tax investigations
- Single-issue disputes: advising on and acting in technical disputes with HMRC relating to single issues
- Formal enquiries: advising on and acting in formal enquiries dealt with at local or regional HMRC level
- Special investigations: advising on and acting in the most serious cases where HMRC's Special Investigations office is involved
- Support: explaining the enquiry process and taxpayer rights, advising on next steps and providing assistance should an agreement fail to be reached
- Extensions: where necessary, negotiating an extension to a deadline where information has been requested
- Alternative dispute resolution: helping you work with HMRC’s ADR team to reach an amicable conclusion
- Tribunals and litigation: critical examination of documentary evidence and providing expert evidence and cross-examination arguments for your legal team
- Forensics: helping to mine data in response to requests from HMRC
- Fee protection: offering protection for an upfront one-off fee against certain professional fees incurred as a result of dealing with enquiries
Why choose Evelyn Partners?
Our team is very familiar with the relevant law and practice and will help identify and challenge any weaknesses in HMRC's arguments and negotiate areas of doubt.
Many of our tax investigation specialists are former Inspectors of Taxes who have spent their entire professional careers dealing with tax investigations.
We have extensive experience dealing with enquiries from HMRC, with whom we have an excellent working relationship.
We ensure you reach the end of a tax enquiry with the minimum of stress and disruption, and only pay taxes that are properly due.
Our team comprises former HMRC specialist senior investigators, as well as chartered accountants and chartered tax advisers. Our partners have an average of 20 years’ experience.