This monthly commentary gives a roundup of global markets and trends.
In this edition:
- Vaccine roll-outs and stimulus packages pushed global economic growth to 5.9% in 2021, but it came with an inflationary sting in the tail (1).
- There is plenty to support further growth in stock markets as economic recovery continues. Consumer and business spending are poised to revive.
- Investors may need to prepare for more volatility with parts of the market highly valued and interest rate rises a possibility.
- Equity markets still hold plenty of opportunity, with more value-oriented sectors such as industrials, materials and energy typically faring well in a recovery environment. Asia and the Eurozone are also set for recovery as the year progresses.
1. Refinitiv, 4 January 2022.
This article was previously published on Tilney prior to the launch of Evelyn Partners.