Weekly Tax Update 9 July 2019
The latest tax update and VAT round up for the week.
- HMRC publishes 2019 departmental plan
- HMRC succeeds in appeal on high income child benefit charge penalties
- Bonus cannot be time apportioned for tax
- FTT halves ‘disproportionate’ penalties
- Litigation costs not allowed as expense on sale
- Partner subject to penalties on partner payment notices
Trusts, estates and IHT
- Office of Tax Simplification reports on IHT
PAYE and employment
- FTT finds different IR35 treatment for two engagements
- Divers’ employment income incapable of being a trade carried on by a partnership
- No legislative anti-avoidance purpose in group capital gains case
- CIOT issues advice on reclassifying vans
- LLP enquiries made under IT provisions found to be invalid
- UT upholds the decision that VAT is due on free wine
Tax publications and webinars
- Briefing Notes published
- Rhetorical (de)vices
By necessity, this briefing can only provide a short overview and it is essential to seek professional advice before applying the contents of this article. This briefing does not constitute advice nor a recommendation relating to the acquisition or disposal of investments. No responsibility can be taken for any loss arising from action taken or refrained from on the basis of this publication. Details correct at time of writing.
This article was previously published on Smith & Williamson prior to the launch of Evelyn Partners.