Areas of expertise
Corporate fraud investigations; asset tracing; bribery and corruption investigations; criminal defence; Proceeds of Crime Act; regulatory investigations.
David is the Head of Forensic Services at Smith & Williamson and leads the Fraud and Financial Crime practice. He has over 25 years’ experience as a forensic accountant and fraud investigator. He acts for both claimants and defendants in civil, criminal and regulatory matters involving allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption.
David’s clients range from large multinational companies to high net worth individuals, together with leading litigation and criminal law practices. During his career, David has gained extensive experience in carrying out high-profile investigations across a range of sectors, including banking, technology, sport and leisure. These investigations have involved false accounting, procurement fraud, theft, allegations of impropriety, banking and treasury fraud, often in international locations including EMEA and the Americas.
David has appeared as both an expert witness and a witness of fact on over 20 occasions. These include civil litigation and criminal cases including confiscation hearings under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. He is often recommended by barristers, both for and against, for his credibility as a witness and his ability to explain complex accounting issues in a straightforward manner.
David regularly speaks at conferences, to law firms and regulators, on fraud investigation and asset-tracing and he advises clients on fraud risk management solutions.
- Instructed by the legal counsel to a sovereign state to investigate allegations concerning a multi-million dollar fraud stretching back 30 years.
- Expert witness acting for the claimants in the case of Dar Al Arkan Real Estate Development Company and Bank Alkhair v Majid Al Refai and others.
- Acted as expert witness for a defendant following investigations launched by the FRC, Serious Fraud Office (SFO), Department of Justice (DoJ) and US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) among others, relating to false accounting following a major acquisition within the technology sector.
- Chartered Accountant and Certified Fraud Examiner Regent Emeritus of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Member of the Fraud Advisory panel and Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales-qualified (ICAEW)
- Member of its London and Midland Fraud forums.
Area of recognitions
David has been recognised by Who’s Who Legal (WWL) as an expert forensic accountant on the Global Elite Thought Leaders 2022.
WWL says: "David is an excellent expert. He is very strategic, nimble, and intelligent"
"He leads an outstanding team at Smith & Williamson and enjoys an excellent reputation in the legal community for his incisive investigative ability and great humour"