Areas of expertise
Capital Allowances and Capital Tax Incentives
Martin joined Smith & Williamson in 2021. He leads S&W’s specialist capital allowances and incentives services.
Martin has extensive experience of advising clients, from FTSE 100s to owner managed businesses across various sectors, including hospitality, retail, technology, manufacturing, infrastructure and real estate investment, on optimising their capital allowances tax reliefs and wider real estate tax issues; through a mixture of deep technical analysis, technology, process improvements and agreements with HMRC.
As a chartered tax advisor, with a background in construction and real estate, Martin has a unique mix of property and tax expertise and knowledge, to strategically and commercially advise his clients.
Notable client work and achievements
- Unlocking tens of millions of unclaimed tax relief through capital allowances audits of past capital expenditure across multiple years.
- Specialist advice to in house tax team during HMRC enquiries, significantly reducing the HMRC assessed tax liabilities, from hundreds of thousands of pounds to low tens, and mitigating penalties.
- Working alongside R&D specialist colleagues to help clients from multiple sectors to optimise valuable Research and Development Allowances on their capital expenditure, greatly enhancing the rate and value of their tax relief.
- Implementation of bespoke end to end fixed asset processes and methodologies, utilising latest technology.
- Chartered tax advisor (member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation)