Areas of expertise
- Commercial disputes
- Loss of profit calculations
- Breach of warranty disputes
- Expert Determination
- Contentious share valuation and shareholder disputes
- Financial analysis
After three years as an accountant in general practice undertaking accounts preparation work and auditing, Nicholas has specialised in Forensic work for the last 26 years, principally in accounting, quantum and valuation disputes.
Nicholas has given oral testimony 34 times, 8 times in the Courts (England, Cayman Islands) and 26 times in Arbitration (Brussels, Geneva, London, Paris, Singapore, Stockholm, Vienna, UAE, Washington).
Nicholas has been identified by Global Arbitration Review (on the basis of client recommendations) as one of the “leading expert witnesses”, “one of the finest of the younger generation” and “among the best in Europe”. He was selected as being amongst the very few “Thought leaders”. Who’s Who Legal describes him as “a standout practitioner... commended for his ‘great manner, integrity and straightforward advice’”.
He has been commended by the English High Court, and his work in arbitration has also been publicly reported on occasion.
Notable client work and achievements
- Valuation of a pan-European healthcare company, in the context of a €2bn warranty claim
- Calculation of the profits attributable to a Nigerian oil field venture
- Assessing the account of profits in a US$1 billion claim following a finding of a breach of intellectual property rights in the software industry
- Valuation of a shareholding a small UK hospitality business in a minority oppression case
- Assisting a FTSE 100 client defending claims made under FSMA 90A by assessing the impact on its financial statements and reports of accounting misstatements
- Acting as Expert Determiner in a €50 million closing balance sheet dispute considering the valuation of stock (inventory) under IFRS
Professional qualifications and memberships
Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)